Month: December 2019

Everton injury blow! Jagielka set to miss eight or nine weeks

first_img1 Everton have been hit by a huge injury blow, with defender Phil Jagielka likely to be out of action for eight or nine weeks.The centre-half, who captained England against Lithuania recently, limped off during the weekend defeat to Arsenal with a knee injury and scans have reavealed he will be sidleined for about two months.Manager Roberto Martinez said: “The medial ligament is affected and it’s an injury that is quite straightforward. “It’s hard to tell [how long he will be sidelined for]. The medial ligament depends on what area there is damage to determine how quickly you can recover. “At the moment we are going to make sure he gets the right course of treatment. I wouldn’t expect anything longer than eight to nine weeks.”Martinez admitted the news was, in context, positive, after initially fearing Jagielka’s injury could have been a lot more severe.He added: “There is no other damage to the meniscus or the cartilage. The cruciates [ligaments] are very strong.“After the game, we expected the worst especially the way the injury happened and rotating the knee – it could have been anything.” Phil Jagielka limps off during Everton’s defeat against Arsenal last_img read more

Nottingham Forest to launch investigation after incident involving Derby’s Bradley Johnson

first_img1 Nottingham Forest will launch an investigation after Derby’s Bradley Johnson was jostled by a pitch invader after Friday’s Sky Bet Championship encounter.Nelson Oliveira’s early strike proved the difference at the City Ground as the Reds ran out 1-0 victors against their in-form rivals.It ended Forest’s eight-match winless streak and led to celebrations spilling on to the pitch after the final whistle.One of the fans made a beeline for Derby midfielder Johnson, who was forced to push him away forcefully, and Forest have promised to investigate the incident.Earlier on Friday, Preston were hit with a £10,000 fine by the Football Association following the crowd trouble at their play-off game against Chesterfield last season.Chesterfield defender Ian Evatt, who used to play for Preston’s fierce rivals Blackpool, was assaulted by a supporter who was later given a three-year ban from football. Nottingham Forest’s eight-match winless streak was ended and post-match celebrations led to celebrations spilling on to the pitch after the final whistle last_img read more

Arsenal and Liverpool target credits boss for rejecting PL a move

first_imgGonzalo Higuain says it took Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri just ‘five minutes’ to persuade him to snub interest from Arsenal and Liverpool.The striker was heavily linked with a move to the Premier League last summer, with Anfield or the Emirates deemed his most likely destination.However incoming Napoli boss, Sarri, held crisis talks with Higuain and persuaded him to stay at the club.Since then the Argentina international has gone on to score 22 goals in as many games to help Napoli sit top of Serie A.“Sarri? He convinced me with his sincerity,” Higuain told Serie A’s official television channel.“It took five minutes for him to convince me to stay, and he got the best out of me.“So far this has been the best year of my career, but we have to be perfect to win. It’s hard to top the record of 35 goals in a Serie A season, but I hope I can make it.” 1 Gonzalo Higuain last_img read more

Liverpool target Dennis Praet ‘ready for top club’, says Belgium Under-21s coach

first_img Anderlecht starlet Dennis Praet (L) Liverpool and Fiorentina target Dennis Praet is ready for a move to one of Europe’s elite clubs, according to his Belgium Under-21 coach Enzo Scifo.Praet was heavily linked with a move away from Anderlecht in the winter transfer window but the Belgian giants managed to keep hold of their rising star.The 21-year-old playmaker has made 29 appearances in all competitions this season and his displays have attracted interest from the likes of Liverpool and Fiorentina.Both clubs are reportedly preparing to bid for Praet in the summer and Scifo thinks the player is ready to set Europe alight.“About Praet, I can say he is ready to embark on an adventure with a top club,” he told Fanta Gazzetta.Anderlecht will be tempted to offload Praet this summer for a sizeable fee rather than risking losing him on a free, with his contract set to expire in 2017. 1last_img read more

Galaxy, Jones leave quietly; Fire advance

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.John Thorrington, a Chadwick School alumnus who calls the Palos Verdes Peninsula home and who once served as David Beckham’s backup when he played for Manchester United in England, was the star of Sunday’s show. After a remarkable day for Galaxy goalkeeper Joe Cannon that saw him save nine laser shots on goal, it was a simple chip shot over his head by Thorrington in extra time that finally gave the Fire a 1-0 victory. The win left Chicago with the eighth and final MLS playoff spot and ended the Galaxy’s late-season playoff bid. The Galaxy had gone 5-0-2 in its previous seven games to set up this unforeseen showdown on the season’s final day, but were left battling unwanted emotions. “Anger, frustration, a combination of both in spite of the run at the end of the season,” veteran midfielder Peter Vagenas said. “We put ourselves in that position. That’s what we need to focus on. “I’m a firm believer – and I’ve said this when we won championships – that at the end of the year, you are where you should be. Maybe we are where we should be.” Certainly, the Fire deserved Sunday’s victory. They completely outplayed the Galaxy, outshooting them, 22-5. Having played Thursday at home and then flying to Chicago, the Galaxy looked leg heavy and uninspired. The Fire, which hadn’t played in a week, only needed to tie to advance. The Galaxy had to win, yet Chicago was continually the attacking team. “Tonight, I almost felt like we were a second-division club team and they were Chelsea,” Cannon said. The game featured the MLS’ two biggest, highest-paid starts, Cuauhtemoc Blanco of the Fire and Beckham of the Galaxy. That, too, proved little contest. Blanco started and proved a dynamic playmaker, taking five shots on goal and twice making nice crossing passes that ultimately were blocked by Cannon. Beckham returned for 22 minutes Thursday after missing 11 games with a knee injury, and played the final 32 minutes here. He gave the Galaxy brief life as they finally began to attack, but seemed to tire. “We’ve had a good run the last (seven) games, but I’m disappointed we couldn’t take it further,” Beckham said. “We need to step up in situations and today was tough.” Sunday also marked the final game for Jones, who has said he would retire at the end of the season. It proved an unremarkable final game, Jones not particularly sharp with his passing and not getting a shot off. Afterward, he would not speak to the media. “You can’t really explain what soccer meant to Cobi,” Galaxy coach Frank Yallop said. “He was devastated in the locker room. Really upset. That shows his character. He wants to do well, he wants to win. He’s been a legend for the Galaxy and U.S. Soccer.” stephen.dilbeck@dailynews.com160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SOCCER: L.A. edged out of the postseason and retiring veteran is “devastated.” By Steve Dilbeck STAFF WRITER BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. – In the end, it wasn’t dueling superstars or the last sighting of Cobi Jones or which team was hottest that determined the MLS’ final playoff team, but rather a late substitution. last_img read more

25 years later, Vietnam Veterans Memorial now shrine

first_imgWASHINGTON – They are lined up like footnotes to the names etched on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial’s polished black granite, leaning against its base, some a collective tribute to the fallen, others bearing a message for just one of the dead. An American Legion uniform cap from Kansas, a police patch from a town in Georgia, a note to “GRAMDADAD” that appears to have been written by the unpracticed hand of a young child. A homemade plaque with plastic red poppies pasted to it, dedicated to a “Band of Brothers.” Poems from middle school students. “We met once when you played golf with my dad,” reads one note, written hastily on a piece of yellow notebook paper, addressed to a Major Shaw. “You served together in Vietnam. He made it back to us. I’m saying goodbye.” Since the memorial was completed in 1982, it has become a de facto shrine with more than 100,000 offerings for the dead and messages from survivors left by the millions who visit it each year. When they continued to pile up, with little sign of abating, the Park Service decided in 1986 to treat the items as museum pieces. “It was unheard of for people to come to a site over a protracted period of time and leave objects,” said Duery Felton, the collection curator and a Vietnam veteran. “These objects became a collection. Before that, they were just things left at the memorial.” Jan Scruggs, a veteran who came up with the idea for the memorial and president of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund, said the wall changed the way people pay respects and grieve at memorials and at the sites of tragic events – such as the World Trade Center in New York and the bombed federal building in Oklahoma City. “It is a beautiful thing,” Scruggs said. “It shows that those who we know and who were a part of our lives and who aren’t with us any more still have an impact on us.” Park Service workers collect the mementoes every few days and ship them to a temperature-controlled warehouse in an office park in suburban Landover, Md., about 20 miles away. Each piece is catalogued. Some are kept in locked cabinets, others alongside long shelves of antique furniture from other historic sites. The warehouse holds more than 45 different collections, and the Park Service says there is no easy way to say how much it costs to store the mementoes from the wall. Even seemingly mundane items are kept, like a Washington Metro subway ticket with 15 cents on it, to avoid discarding something that might have a hidden meaning. Some show significant forethought, like a carefully made homemade replica carousel; others seem to be tokens left by people unexpectedly moved by the monument. Flowers and other perishables are not kept. “We get messages on Popsicle sticks and bubble gum wrappers,” said Pam West, director of the repository. Much of the trend likely stemmed from the diverse backgrounds of U.S. troops, some of whom came from cultures where such items were a part of burial traditions, said Kristin Hass, a University of Michigan professor who wrote a 1998 book on the practice of leaving messages and mementos at the wall. “They are speaking to the dead and to the place of the dead in culture,” she said. There are notes between buddies who served together, and messages of uncertain meaning like the unbroken, dry cigarette or the roll of toilet paper. Felton said both would be precious to a soldier spending days in the bush. Others are stark testaments to the Vietnam experience. Felton pointed to one of the dozens of pairs of worn combat boots pairs left at the memorial. “These boots have character, they tell a story,” he said. “I walked and walked, I fell down the side of the hill, the monsoon came in, I went through the rice paddies, I pulled leeches off of me, I jumped in the ditches, I jumped out of helicopters. They tell a story.” The collection includes items taken from the enemy – a dented canteen, an ammunition belt for an AK-47. There is a letter from an American soldier to the North Vietnamese soldier he killed that asks: “Why you didn’t take my life I will not know.” Felton pulls out a whole drawer of Purple Hearts, another of military patches, and a shelf of uniform caps. There is a plaque made by a group of veterans in a post-traumatic stress therapy class, along with a series of barbed wire garlands to memorialize the eight women on the wall. The Park Service does not try to research the origin of the items or explain why they were left. When they are exhibited, it is with scant written explanation, leaving viewers to draw their own conclusions. But Felton wonders about some. He pulls out an open bottle of champagne with two glasses. Are they a statement about what could have been but was lost? Do they symbolize dreams and hopes derailed? John Rowan, president of the Vietnam Veterans of America, says seeing the names is what motivates people to leave things behind, a way to commune with the dead. Rowan left the only poem he wrote at the memorial in the 1980s. “It’s a personal connection. It’s a way to attempt to reach through the wall to a person’s whose name is there,” he said.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre That number is likely to grow in the coming days. National Park Service officials say milestones like Veterans Day today and the memorial’s 25th anniversary on Tuesday inevitably lead to floods of new items at the wall, as veterans gather at the site on the National Mall and the memories of the war that ended more than 30 years ago are renewed. The nature of the mementos has changed. In the beginning, it was mostly veterans who dropped off unit patches, Purple Hearts, photos of lost soldiers or old pairs of Army boots. But with many veterans now in their 60s, members of a younger generation – including grandchildren of veterans and the fallen – are making contributions. On a recent day, a baseball card from a boy named Nicholas was propped against the wall, with a note that read “For my grandfather.” The practice wasn’t foreseen by the memorial’s planners, but the first offering came even before the monument was completed, a Purple Heart laid in the foundation by the brother of a dead soldier. At the beginning, a memorial staffer collected the items on the belief that people would want them back. last_img read more

LETTERKENNY MAIN STREET HAS A BRIGHT FUTURE – CHAMBER BOSS

first_imgOne of Letterkenny’s best-known business leaders has said she believes the town’s Main Street has a bright future.Chief Executive of the Letterkenny Chamber, Toni Forrester, was reacting to the news of yet another closure of one of the town’s best-known stores.Classic Casuals clothing store closed last weekend after decades of successful trading. It comes on the heels of a closure or movement of a number of stores and restaurants on the Main Street in recent months including Galfees Restaurant, the Music Centre and Subway.However Ms Forrester says people forget about the number of stores that have also opened in recent weeks and months on the Main Street.“There is no question that businesses are finding it tough but businesses do come and go.“For all the stores which have closed, we have also had a number of other stores which have opened on the Main Street. “In recent months we have had a number of new shops including Mad About House and Happy Days. They are new businesses who are giving it a real go,” she said.Ms Forrester said she accepted that many people were now shopping in the bigger shopping parks on the outskirts of the town.But she said she believed businesses on the Main Street also had a lot to offer and that people will always shop on the Main Street.She said she did not accept that parking is an issue for people who wanted to shop on the town’s main thoroughfare.“I think the fact that there is half an hour free parking is a big bonus for people. “I also think people are getting used to the fact that they can park on the edge of the Main Street and walk for a couple of minutes to the shops.“That mentality is changing and I do think overall that Letterkenny’s Main Street still has a huge part to play in the town’s economic revival,” she said.LETTERKENNY MAIN STREET HAS A BRIGHT FUTURE – CHAMBER BOSS was last modified: April 26th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:letterkennyLetterkenny ChamberMain StreetToni Forresterlast_img read more

Tributes from footballers past and present pour in honouring Cruyff

first_img1 Football lost an icon on Thursday when it was announced Johan Cruyff had died at the age of 68.The former Barcelona, Ajax and Netherlands player had been fighting cancer.Cruyff featured at the 1974 World Cup and wowed everyone with a piece of skill which has become known as the Cruyff turn en route to the final.In total he played 48 times for the Netherlands and scored 33 times, while he also won three European Cups with Ajax and later guided Barcelona to the trophy as manager. The likes of Klinsmann, Lineker, Ramos and Kompany have tweeted their sadness at the death of Johan Cruyff last_img read more

Edinson Cavani open to Chelsea move in the summer – Reports

first_img Edinson Cavani is apparently fed up at Paris Saint-Germain 1 Edinson Cavani is coming round to the idea of moving to Chelsea in the summer, according to reports in France.The former Napoli forward is expected to depart Paris Saint-Germain at the end of the campaign, having failed to establish himself ahead of Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s as the club’s main frontman.Ibrahimovic is also set to leave the Parc des Prince once the season is up but that will not stop Cavani from listening to offers from elsewhere, with PSG already lining up external alternatives rather than placing their faith in the Uruguayan.Arsenal have been heavily linked with Cavani in the past, but according to Le 10 Sport, Chelsea are now hot on his trail and will compete with Juventus to land the 29-year-old.Cavani was originally thought to be opposed to a move to England due to the language barrier, instead favouring a return to Italy.But with the amount of TV income Premier League clubs are due to receive next season, a big-money move to England is now firmly on Cavani’s agenda and he is ready to listen to what Chelsea have to offer.last_img read more

Scramble on for Liverpool fans after club handed 10,236 tickets for Europa final

first_imgThe scramble is on for Liverpool fans hoping to attend the Europa League final after it was revealed the club will be allocated just 10,236 tickets.The Reds reached the May 18 final after a comprehensive 3-0 victory over Villarreal on Thursday night, but some fans are certain to miss out.Liverpool have 27,000 season ticket holders, but the final will be held at St Jakob-Park which holds just 35,000 fans.Fellow finalists Sevilla will receive the same allocation with a further 8,000 going to the local organising committee, national associations, commercial partners, broadcasters and corporate hospitality.Liverpool sold 32,000 tickets for Capital One Cup final in February and boss Jurgen Klopp says that the limited ticket availability won’t stop tens of thousands of from Merseyside heading to Switzerland.‘We go to Basle,’ said the German. ‘We take 50, 60, 70 thousand Liverpudlians with us, not in the stadium but in the city. Maybe 100 thousand.’ Liverpool reached the Europa League final after beating Villarreal 3-0 at Anfield 1last_img read more